Interview with Melanie from DearDebt.com
I know I have. It can be scary and lead to a downward spiral. But that’s why we took the time to chat with Melanie from DearDebt.com because she’s been through it all.
- $81,000 in debt? Check
- Scraping by on minimal income? Check
- Depression? Check
The good news is that Melanie turned this all around, and has become a successful freelance writer who’s living life on her own terms. And now, she not only shares her journey to give others hope, but she’s dedicated to helping everyone escape the death grip of debt and depression.
So if you struggle with debt (or have been battling depression) this is one interview you definitely don’t want to miss. Smash that play button above!
Oh and by the way… do you know a friend struggling with debt? If so, be sure to share this episode with them — you might just help turn their life around!
- Website: DearDebt.com
- Instagram: @Deardebt
- Twitter: @DearDebtBlog
- Grab a copy of her book: Dear Debt
Resources Melanie Recommends
Join #HustleNation & Get Access To Our Success Kit!What's the Success Kit? It's a collection of our best-selling guides and templates that teach you how to attract more leads, increase sales, create viral content & get in the best shape of your life!
No Spam! Your loyalty is important to us, and you can unsubscribe at anytime.
Show Notes & Episode Guide
- 00:00 – 3:20. Melanie is introduced to the show and she tells us about how she got to where she is (successful blogger who paid off $80k worth of debt). Melanie then brings up her unique thoughts on growing a blog and why she doesn’t focus on typical metrics (SEO-related stats). Blogging isn’t all about SEO.
- 3:21 – 4:41. How does Melanie measure her engagement? She talks about how she loves to hear from readers and what inspires her.
- 4:42 – 6:10. Melanie talks about how it only took her 1.5 years to go full-time with her blog. She brings up how someone in her network helped her out huge. Her rapid success was thanks to her sweet connections. You’re going to love this part.
- 6:11 – 8:20. How does one “network?” This is such a dirty word. Melanie discusses how she makes friends without coming off as sleazy.
- 8:21 – 11:48. The discussion turns towards pitches and getting hired as a freelancer. Melanie provides a simple yet effective tip for getting hired that I’ve never even thought of. We go into the talk of money and when to bring up your freelancing rate. She tells us all about negotiating your payment. You can’t be afraid to go after the money.
- 11:49 – 16:20. What’s the dark side of freelancing? Melanie brings up depression and how entrepreneurship can be a struggle since you’re all on your own on this journey. Melanie brings up therapy and the importance of finding help so that you don’t feel alone.
- 16:21- 18:05. How does Melanie stay positive as an entrepreneur? She has a little trick for boosting momentum when she’s feeling down. She brings up the importance of a larger vision.
- 18:06 – 19:49. Melanie hosted her first event this year so we naturally had to ask her about this. We go into outreach, sales, the agenda, and putting it together. How did Melanie stay calm? How did she not freak out?
- 19:50 – 22:17. What tools does Melanie use as a writer? She shares two books that all aspiring should read. She then provides additional tips for getting into writing and what we should be doing. Melanie confesses that she lives in Google Drive/Google Docs.
- 22:18 – 23:41. What’s Melanie’s schedule like? She brings up the idea of seasons and going through hustle bursts.
- 23:42- 28:13. What’s Melanie book about? What’s Dear Debt all about? We look at the idea of breaking up with your debt. We look at the emotional side of debt.