Interview with Serena Appiah of ThriftDiving.com
She’s the face behind ThriftDiving, a blog that inspires you to decorate, improve, and maintain your home on a DIY (do-it-yourself) budget. Turns out, when you can help people save money, you can accumulate quite an audience (who knew, right?!)
So how did Serena get the idea for this amazing little niche? Here’s what she had to say: “When I bought my old 1973 home four years ago, we had no furniture. I’m talkin’ bare rooms that felt cold and uninviting. But thanks to my love of thrift stores, I am transforming my house into a place that feels more like HOME, while flexing my creative muscle ;)”
Resources Mentioned In This Interview
Join #HustleNation & Get Access To Our Success Kit!What's the Success Kit? It's a collection of our best-selling guides and templates that teach you how to attract more leads, increase sales, create viral content & get in the best shape of your life!
No Spam! Your loyalty is important to us, and you can unsubscribe at anytime.
Show Notes & Episode Guide
- 2:00 – Serena’s story about her humble beginnings and how she’s been blogging for 11 years!
- 4:35 – How Serena got the idea for her blog. Hint: it wasn’t so she could make money. This is a great example of why chasing cash is a fool’s errand. When you chase your passion and execute, the money follows. Pay careful attention.
- 7:35 – Sahil gets Serena to talk about her current numbers so you can get an idea of how big of an audience she really has! We talk traffic, social media followers, email list and every other juicy stat you could want.
- 10:00 – How Serena actually measures the success of her blog (hint: it’s not based on traffic or pageview numbers). This one little tip will set you on the right track
- 12:30 – How Serena tricks people into sticking around her website and how you can engage with big time bloggers to give them your time of day. This one tip is brilliant.
- 13:40 – Serena’s quick pitch on why you should be on Pinterest… even though she actually “hates” it. A great example of someone who isn’t romantic about her traffic source and just gets the job done to get the results she wants.
- 15:50 – How Serena uses a VA (virtual assistant) to skyrocket her productivity and get important (but boring) things done at a faster pace.
- 16:50 – How Serena found the RIGHT virtual assistant for the job, how she manages payroll and the tools and systems in place to make sure the work is actually getting done instead of being billed for random, unused hours.
- 21:00 – How Serena comes up with her best content without using a set schedule or any “strict” form of planning. She really is the creative type.
- 21:45 – Sahil asks Serena about her major income streams and how she actually makes REAL money with blogging.
- 26:00 – Why this is the right opportunity to take advantage of the market and start selling your services to brands that are looking for marketing awareness.
- 27:30 – Serena talks about companies that can help you find work and connect you to brands if you want to produce content to sell.
- 33:00 – Three of Serena’s most memorable projects that she would recommend mothers do with their children. These are quick and fun.
- 35:00 – Martin asks Serena how she keeps up her hustle as a busy mom and how she finds time to get the necessary things done.