Interview With Miranda Marquit
Well wonder no more, because on today’s show, we managed to chat with seasoned freelance writer Miranda Marquit who revealed her secrets to landing lucrative writing gigs that pay top dollar. You’ll also learn how to avoid fighting for scraps and the red-flags to look for when companies try and lowball you!
About Miranda Marquit
Since earning her M.A. in Journalism in 2005, Miranda has worked from home as a freelance writer. She began writing about finances in 2006 and has continued that journey to this day. Her work has been mentioned in, and linked to from, USA Today, The Huffington Post, The San Francisco Chronicle, The New York Times, Consumerist, The Atlantic Wire, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and other many others!
Where You Can Find Miranda
Resources Mentioned In The Episode
Join #HustleNation & Get Access To Our Success Kit!What's the Success Kit? It's a collection of our best-selling guides and templates that teach you how to attract more leads, increase sales, create viral content & get in the best shape of your life!
No Spam! Your loyalty is important to us, and you can unsubscribe at anytime.
Episode Show Notes
- 00:00 – 4:13. The guys introduce Miranda to the show. They start off by asking Miranda for her story on how she got started with freelancing. The world of writing has drastically changed from 2005. Miranda tells us about how she did everything possible to not work a “real job.” You’ll be surprised by Miranda’s early schedule.
- 4:14 – 9:40. When did Miranda finally launch her own website? Spoiler: 2011 (six years into her blogging run). She went through a phase where she didn’t even have to apply for a gig. She tells us the story of how she eventually got into blogging. One new friendship ended up resulting in a strategic business relationship.
- 9:41 – 13:00. Martin gets into the differences of freelance writing vs running an online business. Miranda goes into how she entered the personal finance freelance writing community. You might have to start with quantity first.
- 13:01 – 17:39. Miranda tells us how she got her first break in blogging. There’s a little tangent about Tinder/dating apps/getting paid to write about random topics.
- 17:40 – 23:00. Miranda talks about what you should expect to get paid when you’re starting out. We talk about how freelance writing is still all over the map when it comes to payment. Now Miranda charges 20X more than what she originally started.
- 23:01 – 25:42. They talk about the importance of starting a blog as a writing resume. There’s even a funny story of how Miranda’s son had to miss a season of soccer.
- 25:43 – 29:30. How can you spread the word? Miranda drops a bomb about some of the big sites and how they don’t even offer pay.
- 29:31 – 35:00. The discussion turns towards planning and getting things done. Miranda reveals how she would send her son to child care just to get some work done. She needed to finish the work that got her paid. She didn’t have a minute to waste. We go into the ability to work on the most important thing done first.
- 35:01 – 38:07. The stress is put on the importance of figuring out what to do first. She gives us her secrets for getting work done when traveling.
- 38:08 – What’s Miranda’s tip for finding your first paying client? Miranda shares the one place that she would avoid. Never race to the bottom.